Advanced Driving School 2024
The Trillium BMW Club (a member chapter of the BMW Club of America) runs four (4) Advanced Driving Schools during the year. For 2024 these will be run in April, June, September, and October. All local schools are run at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) in Bomanville, Ontario (roughly 90 minutes east of Toronto). Our weekend schools cater to all experience levels: Novice, Intermediate, Advanced and Solo students. We offer expert, personalized, one-on-one instruction sessions both in-car on-track and in the classroom. Between the classroom and the track, we hone your car control skills on the skid pad. Typically, each group of students goes through four 25-minute rotations of each type of session per day – which makes for a varied and engaging event. Our school events are are exciting, highly educational and fun. Saturday includes a guided track-walk reviewing each Mosport corner up close – just like the pros. The highlight of Saturday evening is a catered dinner, including raffles for prize, as well as a social event for attendees, before heading off for some well deserved rest, returning for another full day of excitement on Sunday.
Our Friday schools are reserved for Solo students, qualified A Students, and instructors only. Please click here for full details for Solo students.
Pricing varies from year to year, event to event, and time of sign up. For 2024, prices are $750-$895 (varying by registration date) for a full two-day weekend. Many other schools offer a single day for the same price. Trillium offers TWO days. Trillium also offers a pre-season bulk discount for those looking for multiple track weekends. Prices are in Canadian dollars. Please see the schedule (click here) for current dates and pricing.
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You must have a full G License
- You must be a paid-up member of one of the following: The Trillium BMW Club, BMW Car Club of America (any chapter), BMW Car Club Canada (any chapter). To join the Trillium BMW Club, click here.
- If you've never attended a Trillium advanced driving school before you must complete and send in your driving resume from the "Driving Resume Questionnaire" link (NOTE: You must be logged in (i.e. you must be a member) before you can use the questionnaire. It will not appear for anonymous users).
- You must bring an approved and signed Technical Inspection Form
- You must bring an approved and signed BMW CCA waiver.
- Cars equipped with Collision Avoidance Braking Systems and/or Lane Departure Correction Systems: These systems must be turned off prior to entering the track for each track session
- Open-top cars: Convertibles and cars with T-tops or Targa tops are allowed only if they have fixed roll-over protection AND pass the "broomstick" test. Pop-up roll-over protection is not permitted. Note that the BMW CCA broomstick test is different than the PCA test. All such vehicles must have arm restraints and are to be worn by both the driver and passenger. Hardtop convertibles with the top up and cars with T-tops and Targa tops installed will be treated as non-convertible. Please confirm compliance ahead of time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, providing a photograph of a side view of the vehicle with driver seated and with helmet on.
- Vehicles that may not/not participate include: Open-wheeled cars, trucks (including light trucks), vans (including minivans), non-BMW SUVs, cross-overs, military vehicles, delivery vehicles, three-wheeled vehicles, motorcylces, etc. Any vehicle that is not a coupe, gran coupe (i.e. sedan without a b-pillar), sedan, station wagon, hatch back, compact, or BMW SUV. Please note Trillium reserves the right to restrict any vehicle from participation in driving events if we believe there is an unacceptable safety risk to either the driver and/or other participants.
- BMW SUVs (a.k.a BMW X-vehicles): You may register for a driving school and bring your BMW X vehicle (e.g. X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7) but the vehicle may only participate in the Novice group regardless of the driver's skill level. For example, you are a solo driver and often bring an M3 but at one school, you decide to bring your X5 instead. Your X-vehicle may only participate in the novice group and will need to follow all rules associated with that group. Other makes and models of SUV not made by BMW? At this time our policy on SUVs reflects information provided to us by the BMW Car Club of America and BMW itself. Hence, BMW SUVs are qualified to participate in the Novice group at CCA-run Advanced Driving Schools. "Well other cars besides BMWs are qualified to come to CCA driving schools, why not other makes of SUVs?" you might ask. There is a lot of spirited discussion regarding SUVs and their capabilities but what no one can disagree with is that SUVs at BMW CCA driving schools is a new phenomena. It will take time to gain experience to know how SUVs will be part of future driving schools. It may be disappointing to hear your make and model of SUV are not currently allowed to participate at our driving school but keep in mind all SUVs (including BMW SUVs) used to be banned. Now a limited number can participate. That certainly seems like a positive step for proponents of SUV participation at track events. Please contact the registrar should you have any further questions on our SUV policy.
- Hybrid / Electric vehicles: As a general policy, the Trillium Chapter, a member of the BMW CCA, allows all models of BMW automobiles legally allowed to operate on Canadian roads, at all Trillium events including driving schools, autoslaloms, etc. provided they are not in an excluded class for the event (e.g. motorcycles at an Advanced Driving School) But, it should be noted that venues also have their own rules regarding allowable vehicles. Venue rules supersede club rules. That being said, as the auto industry moves toward electrification, many venues are considering new rules and regulations for these new types of vehicles. If you have either a hybrid or full electric vehicle, please contact us and we will reach out to the venue for their specific policy. As of 2023 there are no charging stations available at Mosport.
- What about vehicle X: Automotive technology changes all the time. If you think your vehicle might be a type not previously evaluated (such as new generation cross-overs or track-day cars such as the KTM X-Bow, Radical, etc), send us the make, model, and year and we will look into whether such vehicles qualify.
- For 2024, helmets must meet the SA2015 standard, or later). A limited number of loaner helmets are available at the track. Motorcycle helmet do not qualify under the SA2015 (or later) standard. Motocycle helmets often have an 'M' in their standard e.g. M2015. M does not mean 'motorspot'. It refers to 'M'otorcycle.
- The driver and passenger seat belts must be equal. This means if your driver seat has a 5-point harness, your passenger seat must also have a 5-point harness.
- Long pants are mandatory, no tank tops, no open shoes, no synthetics (cotton, or silk only)
- Refunds: Fees are refundable up to 15 days prior to the event and may be subject to a small admin fee charged by the payment processor. Please note the club is not responsible for currency fluctuations. There are no refunds for cancellations at 14 days or less. In the case of a cancellation, the club will offer participants another school within the same year. What if it's the last school of the year? Contact us via email to discuss available options.
- Bulk purchases are only valid for the current season
- Driver substitutions are not allowed
- Student drivers are NOT permitted to carry any passengers while on track, or during skid pad/autoslalom exercises, except for Trillium approved instructors. Instructors are the only drivers permitted to carry passengers in their cars, such as the school students, or guests.
Your car must be inspected by a licensed mechanic according to the criteria on the club's technical inspection form. At the time of your inspection you must ensure your mechanic completes and signs the form. This inspection should be completed no earlier than four (4) weeks before the driving school. A separate technical inspection is required for each and every driving school you attend and for each vehicle you bring. You must present the completed and signed form on the morning of the first day of the driving school. Without a completed and signed form you will not be allowed out on the track.
When and Where
Please arrive by 7:00 AM to register and prepare your car. There is a mandatory Drivers Meeting at 8:00 AM. We thank you in advance for arriving on time!
Click on the following link www.canadiantiremotorsportpark.com for directions and general information on track facilities. Our events are held at the Grand Prix Track. Look for signage indicating the correct entrance gate.
Unfortunately, like everything else, our prices have increased for 2024 due to an increase in track rental fees. However, our Three-Day weekend prices have decreased.
As with previous years, each event will have discounted pricing for registrations more than six (6) weeks ahead and between three (3) and six (6) weeks ahead of the event. There are also be pre-season bulk-purchase packages available with two, three, and four-pack options. Unlike previous years, these packages are explicitly pre-season packages and will only be available until March 31. After that date, participants can only register for events at the registration site for the specific events they are interested in. The events selected in purchased packages may be cancelled or changed at any time (subject to our regular cancellation and refund policies). However, after March 31, dates cannot be added to packages.